Thursday, March 17, 2011

Adventures in Pedagogy: Percentages

Sitting here in the car with the boys as my wife runs into Target to pick something up "really quick." (I believed her. She can be quick—in Target, right?)

Anyway, I find a spot that gives us a clear view of the entrance and Dawson says:

"Hey Dad, see that white car in front of us? Why don't you park in front of it? It's closer."

"Can't. See that other car? It's like halfway in the parking space."




"Halfway? That's a bit of an exaggeration."

"Alright, then what percentage of the space is it taking up?"

"About 1/11."

"I'll give you that, but what percentage?"

"About 9 point something percent."

"Not 10%?"

"No, a little less."

Right about then, my wife returned. She was pretty quick.

And she brought me a Drumstick.

- Posted (on location) from my mobile

1 comment:

KFouss said...

Just a couple of things...

1. What kind of woman can be quick in Target? She must be a miracle worker.

2. I'm envious of the pretty blossoms that you have out there! Our trees are still bare and yucky.

3. Loving the math. (That should go without saying!)